|MAMARI / GEROLSTEIN / CONSUL HORN 1904 |
7,062 gross tons, length 455.4ft x beam 56.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 12-1st and 1,000-steerage class s. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Shaw, Savill & Albion Line, she started her first voyage London - Capetown - Wellington on 15th Dec.1904. The return voyages were via South America. In 1927 she collided with an iceberg off Cape Horn and was repaired at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. 1928 sold to Arnold Bernstein, Germany, converted to a cargo ship and renamed GEROLSTEIN.
In 1933 she was again fitted to carry s and used on the Antwerp - New York service. 1938 transferred to Red Star Line ownership. 1939 sold to H. C. Horn, Hamburg renamed CONSUL HORN, June 1942 mined and sunk off Borkum.[Merchant Fleets vol.10 by D. Haws] [North Star to Southern Cross by J. Maber]