Built in 1867 at Greenock by Caird & Co.
Burden: 2,333 gross
Dimensions: 285ft x 39ft
Engine: Single-expansion engine, 1000 hp
Owner:Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, Germany
One funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 84-1st and 600-3rd class.
Speed: 10 knots (18,5 km/h)
The BERLIN was built for the Baltimore Line, a service jointly owned by Norddeutscher Lloyd and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Co; the vessels were operated by Norddeutscher Lloyd, which became sole owner of them in 1878.
She was launched on 1st Oct.1867. Her maiden voyage between Bremen, Southampton and Baltimore took place in April 1868 and in 1879 she started her first voyage to South America. Re-engined in 1882, she commenced her last Bremen - South America sailing on 3rd Mar.1894. Winter 1874, laid up during depression. 1876-77, in view of disappointing passenger numbers, forward cabin replaced by extra cargo hatch. 1879, first voyage, Bremen-South America. 1882, given compound engine and new boilers by AG
Weser, Bremen; 1225 hp, service speed 12 knots.
3 March 1894: lastvoyage, Bremen-South America.
June 1894, sold to F. K. Raben;
Resold 23 June 1894 to M. Bruzzo, Livorno (recalled as BRUZZO), for breakup in Italy. En route to Italy the ship was damaged in a storm and returned to Germany.
1895, scrapped in Vegesack.